How to use .patch files
Using Color Ranks mod as an example.
BEFORE YOU START DOING ANYTHING WITH .PATCH FILES READ THIS POST CAREFULLY!
IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND IT, DON'T ASK FOR FURTHER EXPLANATIONS - IT CAN'T BE WRITTEN IN A MORE 'NOOBISH' AND EASY WAY!
1. Download diff_patch.exe from http://www.mame.net/downmain.html ( http://www.mame.net/zips/diff_patch.zip )
2. Extract diff.exe and patch.exe files to C:\Windows (where Windows is installed)
3. Create a folder 'Przemo' on C:\ drive.
4. Download all your board files from your server.
STOP! If you don't understand anything from the instructions written above, stop reading this post!
Find someone, who can do this for you.
5. Copy your board files to C:\Przemo (there should be many folders and files, not one!)
6. Download file CR_194.zip and extract CR_194.patch
7. Copy CR_194.patch to C:\Przemo
8. If the template also will be modified (as in the example), change the template's folder name to subSilver and the subSilver's folder to subSilver-1
9. Click Start, then Run, enter cmd and click OK - a DOS window will appear.
10. Write c: in the window.
11. Write cd \Przemo
FOR PATCHES THAT CHANGE TEMPLATES ALSO (eg. Color Ranks): patch -F 3 -p1 < CR_194.patch
FOR OTHERS: patch -p1 < nazwa_pliku.patch
SOMETHING LIKE THIS SHOULD APPEAR:
C:\Przemo>patch -F 3 -p1 < CR_194.patch
patching file "admin/admin_groups.php"
patching file "admin/admin_ranks.php"
patching file "admin/admin_users.php"
Hunk #1 succeeded at 938 (offset 31 lines).
Hunk #3 succeeded at 1294 (offset 31 lines).
patching file "common.php"
Hunk #1 succeeded at 365 with fuzz 2 (offset 27 lines).
patching file "groupcp.php"
Hunk #8 succeeded at 906 (offset -1 lines).
Hunk #10 succeeded at 1003 (offset -1 lines).
Hunk #11 succeeded at 1093 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #12 succeeded at 1162 (offset -1 lines).
Hunk #13 succeeded at 1190 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #14 succeeded at 1210 (offset -1 lines).
Hunk #15 succeeded at 1232 (offset 4 lines).
Hunk #16 succeeded at 1253 (offset -1 lines).
Hunk #17 succeeded at 1282 (offset 4 lines).
patching file "includes/constants.php"
Hunk #1 succeeded at 192 (offset 3 lines).
patching file "includes/functions.php"
patching file "includes/functions_color_rank.php"
patching file "includes/mods_info/color_ranks.php"
patching file "includes/page_header.php"
patching file "includes/topic_review.php"
patching file "includes/usercp_viewprofile.php"
Hunk #1 succeeded at 97 (offset 5 lines).
patching file "index.php"
Hunk #1 succeeded at 288 (offset 16 lines).
Hunk #3 succeeded at 443 (offset 16 lines).
Hunk #5 succeeded at 743 (offset 16 lines).
patching file "language/lang_polish/lang_admin.php"
Hunk #1 succeeded at 1381 (offset -86 lines).
patching file "language/lang_polish/lang_main.php"
Hunk #1 succeeded at 1386 with fuzz 3 (offset -1 lines).
patching file "memberlist.php"
patching file "modcp.php"
Hunk #1 succeeded at 1245 (offset -1 lines).
Hunk #3 succeeded at 1722 (offset -1 lines).
patching file "search.php"
Hunk #1 succeeded at 692 (offset -4 lines).
Hunk #3 succeeded at 999 (offset -9 lines).
patching file "shoutbox_view.php"
patching file "staff.php"
patching file "templates/subSilver/admin/group_edit_body.tpl"
patching file "templates/subSilver/admin/ranks_edit_body.tpl"
patching file "templates/subSilver/admin/ranks_list_body.tpl"
patching file "templates/subSilver/groupcp_info_body.tpl"
patching file "templates/subSilver/groupcp_user_body.tpl"
patching file "templates/subSilver/index_body.tpl"
Hunk #1 succeeded at 74 with fuzz 3 (offset -4 lines).
patching file "templates/subSilver/memberlist_body.tpl"
patching file "templates/subSilver/privmsgs_body.tpl"
patching file "templates/subSilver/viewonline_body.tpl"
patching file "viewforum.php"
Hunk #1 succeeded at 287 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #3 succeeded at 325 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #5 succeeded at 440 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #7 succeeded at 1012 (offset 3 lines).
patching file "viewonline.php"
patching file "viewtopic.php"
Hunk #1 succeeded at 903 (offset 8 lines).
Hunk #3 succeeded at 1750 (offset 8 lines).
Hunk #5 succeeded at 2219 (offset 8 lines).
patching file "warnings.php"
ATTENTION! Stop installing the modification if 'FAILED' appears anywhere.
In order to correct the error, find .rej files, read them and see what's gone wrong.
If there are to few files or one file is incomplete, you can ask for help here
If this happened, remember to save the content of the DOS window, because it will be needed when asking for help.
IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND ANYTHING WHAT IS WRITTEN ABOVE, DON'T CONTINUE THE INSTALLATION BY YOURSELF or you can damage your board! Being a board admin isn't just checking some options in Internet Explorer!
13. Create folder C:\paczka
14. Copy the files (from C:\Przemo) which were mentioned after 'PATCHING' word (create folders if necessary, the path has to stay the same!).
15. (Restore the template's correct folder name - only if you've changed it).
16. Files in C:\paczka are patched and ready to upload.
17. Don't delete neither C:\Przemo nor C:\paczka folder - they can be useful.
18. Upload the files from C:\paczka to your server.
19. Check if everything works. If yes - you can enjoy your new mod, and if not - restore the board backup from C:\Przemo folder.
This INSTRUCTION refers only to mods having .patch file, if your mod doesn't have it - DON'T INSTALL IT THIS WAY.
If you succedeed in installing mod / updating board using .patch file, please post in this topic so that everybody should know it really works
You can post your opininions about .patch files IN THIS TOPIC only.
Originally posted by spy
Translated by regua